[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3168)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3168)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3168)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3168)
Divine Write Copywriting Forum • View topic - Spelling
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spelling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 am 

Okay, everyone makes mistakes, including me. But I do my best to edit, re-edit, and edit again.

I personally find it amazing to find as many spelling mistakes as I do, even while walking down a city street and reading the sandwich boards. I almost feel compelled to go into the business and tell them there is a mistake. I did that once and it wasn't well received, despite my pleasant manner and big smile. :-)

I guess the fact he had paid several hundred dollars for advertising that had misspelled his slogan was enough to set him off. How is it possible that so many eyes had missed it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find it just as amazing to hear grammatical errors on TV ads. Air-time costs so much, it's a shame they don't spend a fraction more on good copywriters!

http://www.divinewrite.com

Post subject: Spelling variations
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:32 am 

On the topic of spelling - here's a question that deals with writing for the web & the differences in spelling from country to country. Which form of the word (this is just 1 example) do you use: color or colour (I assume that Google is smart enough to know the difference but then that might be a mistake on my part).

labor, labour
personalise, personalize
rationalise, rationalize
check, cheque

?
Jill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi mmvp. While I think you're right (Google can tell the difference), in most cases, Google wouldn't play a part in your decision. You just need to know who you're writing for. US audiences expect US spelling (e.g. color, rationalize). You simply meet that expectation. This will work for Google too because US audiences will search in US English. Likewise, if you're writing to for a British, Australian, NZ (or other Commonwealth) audience, use British English. It's the 'in-between' audiences that are tricky: like Canada. They part of the Commonwealth, but being so close to the US, I'm not sure what they prefer. I suspect there are studies out there that answer this question, though. I think US English is most common in Canada, but wouldn't put money on it! I always find Asian countries the trickiest...

Post subject: re: spellling
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:48 am 

I just finished a job located in HK. They stipulated US English. This surprised me given their history. I know that's not always the case there. As for Canada, I believe you're right but they seem to recognise both - at least on sites I've visited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the Asian countries associate US English with progress (particularly online). But then again, they may just want to target one of the richest markets in the world!

Post subject: Spelling - get with the program (or programme)?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:02 pm 

G'day guys,

I had someone in one of my copywriting courses recently say they thought "programme" sounded snobby!

Traditionally UK English spells it as above, while USA English spells it as "program".

Have you found (as I have) that "program" is being used more in Australia now than "programme"?

Paul

Post subject: Re: Spelling - get with the program (or programme)?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm 

But then, if you started using the former again, you'd being seeing the latter less often! :)

<sorry, couldn't help myself>

Gioff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Spelling - get with the program (or programme)?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]