It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Questions from a newbie.....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 pm 

Hi there

I am a wanna-be copywriter with a sore head! I have questions that desperately need answers, and according to google this is the best place to come for help :)

Firstly, I am relatively new to the world of 'paid writing' in any medium. In my mind I have always been a 'writer' but have only recently (in the last year) decided to make a career out of it. In the past 12 months I have written feature articles, on a freelance basis, for an online magazine. I have now decided to branch out into the world of copywriting! Specifically, I am looking for a career as a web copywriter.

Now for the questions........

1. I am about to enrol in a home study course run by the Australian School of Copywriting (www.copyschool.com.au). Has anyone heard of this course/school? The course covers traditional copywriting, with a chapter or two dedicated to copywriting for the web. Would you agree that in order to be a successful web copywriter it would be beneficial to have an understanding of traditional copywriting first? How similar are the two 'disciplines'?

2. From my own research it seems that in order to be an effective web copywriter, one needs to be an effective SEO copywriter. If this is correct, then how much 'technical' knowledge do you need to be able to deliver SEO solutions for your clients? Would it be beneficial to undertake a course specifically in SEO?

3. Once you have written the content for a website and it has been approved by the client, does the copywriter upload the content or the client? Or does the webmaster? If it is the copywriter then what Content Management Systems or software programs does a copywriter need to be skilled in? Similarly, once the SEO solution is ready to be implemented, who physically inputs the data (meta tags etc). The copywriter? client? webmaster? If it's the copywriter what systems/programs does the he/she need to be proficient in?

I have many other questions but these seem to be the most pressing. I apologise if I am asking the obvious but do appreciate any feedback you may have.

Kind regards
Jojo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]