It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Self discipline and a work schedule
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm 

Hi

I cannot find this specific question being asked before, though apologise if it has (and if so, could the Mods could move it to the correct place, please!)

I am new to being a professional copywriter (website content), though have previous experience on writing copy.

My weakness is self discipline and working effectively - from home. Good example of this is when I recently was commissioned to write 20 articles with between 400 and 600 words per article. The client was delighted with the articles and has put further work my way.

Problem is, I think I could have completed all 20 within two days (around 16 hours), but I allowed myself to be distracted and in the end the job probably took nearer double that time.

Anyone got advice or experience with specific ways I can try to stay focused on job in hand? I have previously run my own business (successful) with over 100 staff, so this is rather embarrassing to admit. But then, I'm old enough to know pride is a dangerous mistress.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Self discipline and a work schedule
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:24 pm 

Ah yes.. it's much easier to surf the net and wander aimlessly without the boss (or colleagues) keeping an eye on your every move. I guess the trick is making your home environment as much like a "work" environment as possible.

Make sure you have a dedicated work space with everything you need to hand (minimises excuses for wandering off to "just grab whatever").
Set targets for yourself such as 2 hours of solid writing, or X amount of words before you're allowed to take a lunch break, or grab a Tim-Tam.
Set a timer and make sure you don't leave your desk until it goes off.
Keep dedicated working hours and try to stick to a routine.

That's about all I can suggest at this stage - but I'd be interested in what works for others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:56 am 

There are a lot of secrets to getting writing done quickly. Here are two of my favorites: (1) Use a timer and (2) separate the writing process from the editing process. Next time you need to write a piece (after you've figured out roughly what you want to say), set a timer for 10 minutes and just WRITE. Don't let yourself go back and revise, no matter how badly you want to. At the end of 10 minutes, if you're still writing furiously, set the timer for another 10 minutes and keep writing. Then, and only then, go back and revise what you've done.

This method helps to peel away some of the anxiety that gets created when you examine/evaluate your writing as you're getting it down on paper. It also separates writing into two clean steps: creating and editing. Tip o' the hat to Daphne Gray-Grant, who taught me this method. Daphne is the master of writing quickly and efficiently -- I've learned a lot from reading her weekly newsletter.

Samantha Enslen
President and Senior Editor
Dragonfly Editorial
www.dragonflyeditorial.com

937.669.3803 desk
937.245.0713 mobile
sam@dragonflyeditorial.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 am 

Thanks for your advice. Theory sounds pretty good. I'll give it a go - and report back, either way.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]